Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 8 - Expectancy

I have spent two of my life’s Christmas’ literally expecting… in that I was “with child” during that season. I found it hard to think about Mary, her place in life and how God brought His Son into the world in such humble conditions.

I also find it fascinating that Advent is about expectancy… like a pregnant mother waiting hoping and looking for signs that her baby is coming. But, in many ways, both literally and figuratively, that is exactly what Advent is! If you’ve ever waiting on an over due baby you know what it means to expect something. It consumes every thought, every action, your whole being.

That is what God desires for us… like dear Mary, to expect Him, to look for signs of Him and to be all consumed with the simple hope of just experiencing Him!

Christmas can lose its meaning for us if we have lost the spirit of expectancy. We must not prepare for a simple observance, holiday or tradition. We must prepare ourselves for an experience!

“Let's approach Christmas with an expectant hush, rather than a last-minute rush.” - Anonymous

“But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.” Micah 7:7



Have you ever had a baby near or on Christmas? (Or have you been expecting a baby during Christmas?)

How did this alter your perception of Christmas or the Nativity account?

No comments: